HIV/AIDS Prevention and Community Outreach
Email Us Safely and Confidentially:
Peoria City/County Health Department
HIV Outreach Program Coordinator: Randy
HIV Testing Recommended for:
- Men who have sex with other men.
- Anyone who injects drugs and shares needles.
- Anyone who has unprotected sex with an injection user or with a man who has sex with other men.
Illinois law permits adults 18 years of age and older to purchase up to 20 syringes at a pharmacy without a prescription. Many Illinois pharmacies also provide free sharps containers and educational materials about proper disposal and drug treatment to customers buying syringes without a prescription.
F.L.A.S.H. (Family Life and Sexual Health): a free, downloadable sexuality health curriculum for adolescents to young adults.
Sexual Health and Pregnancy Prevention
- Campaign, sponsored by Advocates for Youth, to help young people make informed and responsible decisions about their reproductive and sexual health. Site also includes a section for parents.
- Information and support about birth control methods. Site operated by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.
- Information for young people about sexual health and sexually transmitted diseases. Includes resources for parents and educators.
- Information about sexual health issues provided by teens and for teens. Sponsored by the Teen-to-Teen Sexuality Education Project of Rutgers University.
- Love is Respect National Dating Abuse Helpline offering online chat and telephone support (1-866-331-9474; TTY: 1-866-331-8453) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Specifically designed for teens and young adults.
- Love is Louder National Domestic Violence Hotline: telephone support (1-800-799-7233; TTY: 1-800-787-3224) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in English and Spanish. Website features information and real stories for dealing with harassment, depression, suicide or emotional issues. A project of the JED Foundation and MTV.
- Operated by Wired Safety group, wiredsafety.org is an internet safety and help group. Online volunteers provide one-to-one help, extensive resources, information, and education to people of all ages on a myriad of digital safety and harassment issues on the Internet, mobile, gaming and interactive technology.
- The Trevor Lifeline (1-866-488-7386) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Are you going through a difficult time? Feeling confused, lonely or blue? If you're a young person looking for someone to listen and understand without judgment or if you're feeling suicidal about issues related to sexual orientation and gender expression, the Trevor Lifeline is here to help.
Don't have access to a phone or not in a location where you can talk (or are hearing impaired), the Trevor Chatline is available on the Internet. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
- Amplify Your Voice is a youth driven community working for change. Amplify is a project of Advocates for Youth.