Keeping Cool During Hot Summer Months
The PCCHD is committed to providing information which helps individuals prepare for the heat of the summer by providing important tips how to prevent heat stroke and other heat-related health complications and most importantly how to stay safe and have fun this summer.
Keeping Cool Tips Everyone
- Stay in air-conditioned space at home, the library, the mall, movie theater or at a cooling center.
- Drink lots of water and natural juices. Avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and colas.
- Keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but keep windows slightly open.
- Stay out of the sun and avoid going out in the heat.
- Keep electric lights off or turned down.
- Take cool baths or showers.
- Wear loose, light cotton clothing.
- Do not eat heavy meals. Avoid cooking with your oven.
- Avoid or minimize physical exertion.
- Do not sit in a hot car, even for a short time. Never leave a child in a hot car.
- Check on family members, friends and neighbors to make sure they stay cool and safe.
- If you or anyone you know needs emergency medical attention, call 911.
Keeping Cool Tips for Your Pets
- Provide water and shelter from the sun at all times.
- Restrict activity during extreme heat.
- Never leave pets in parked vehicles. Even moderate heat rapidly increases and can kill the pet quickly.
Cooling Centers in Peoria include the following:
- Department of Human Services (DHS), 211 Fulton, Suite 300, 8:30-5 M-F
- Friendship House, 800 NE Madison (corner of Madison & Wayne), 8:30-5
- All Peoria Fire Stations, open 24/7
- Civic Center Verizon Café (water stations, tables and chairs), 201 SW Jefferson Avenue
- Link to Cooling Centers Map for Central Illinois or see link below.
- Call 2-1-1 Heart of Illinois Resource Phone Number or (309) 999-4029 or www.211hoi.org/
- http://peoriacountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Directions/index.html?appid=8c966978cd4b451c9a0f7618737d2033. Map link to Central Illinois Cooling Centers.
- State of Illinois, Illinois Department of Human Services cooling sites (800) 843-6154 or http://www.illinois.gov/KeepCool/SitePages/CoolingCenters.aspx
- Other Public Health information, Peoria City/County Health Department website www.pcchd.org.